Sunday, November 18, 2012

R.I.P. TV

It's early Sunday morning, the clock reads 12:52 a.m.  I forgot about SNL until I looked at the time on the laptop, it read 12:28 a.m. but instead of tuning in then, I decided to just check out whatever is posted on Hulu later this morning.  It's almost the end of 2012, I've "lived" the days going by, see the date, write it even but still I think and have said to others, "can you believe it's November already..." and they'll agree and/or add a few comments of their own.  What brings me to this blog this early morning, is reading recently, like within the past couple hours, that a television show I have become excited about seeing every week has been cancelled.  Yes, another television show, program if you will, has been put on the chopping block and I feel upset.  I wasn't just upset in a cerebral way but for a few minutes when reading the sentence that concluded with "...has been cancelled", I actually felt upset.

Why am I upset?  Can't say that I am because I have any personal stake in the show continuing like I would if I were an actor, writer, producer, etc., relative or close associate to those persons who do have that particular connection with the show.  I have only not missed and enjoyed each episode  with it's Sunday, November 11 episode being one of the most nail bitingly exciting I've seen yet.  I'm upset because I really enjoy watching television, with some shows more than others, I become engrossed in the story, I am excited for the characters and impressed by the talent involved from behind the scenes and definitely in front of  the camera to make those television shows all they are to keep myself and millions coming back, no, actually wishing it were again the day that those shows aired.  The same with another show I'm so glad lasted it's premier season and is successfully into it's second, "Grimm".  Friday's episode was another that left me wanting to know what's going to happen next and the writers, producers know they have something special because after the end scene faded to black, on the screen was displayed a "To Be Continued..." accompanied also by "Sorry".  That gave me a chuckle but also was a cool way to bait the hook, so with patience and the passing of days, it'll be either a week or just a few of them before "Grimm" continues on.

Yesterday evening, I learned that "666 Park Avenue" has been cancelled or will be after its 13 episode run and possibly will not return when the many of other shows will after the winter hiatus.  I don't understand why the show was cancelled, of all the shows that could have and in my opinion should have been on the chopping block, why is "666 Park Avenue" included in the line up?  The writing is intelligent, suspenseful, humorous, sarcastic in all the best ways, the plot intriguing and the actors work well together bringing all that brilliance to life.  Terry O'Quinn is so good at being bad.  Vanessa Williams, a talented beauty, I've enjoyed her in movies and television and her past years of  transition on ABC alone included two of my other favorites, "Ugly Betty" & "Desperate Housewives", I'm a fan.  The other actors as well round out a wonderful cast that could now be put in the category of "was" and just as a few television shows recently and in the past, I am not okay with that.

Those shows, my favorites, my weekly ocular pleasures that have since bitten the dust, still I wonder why? Many other shows have been on for quite awhile, winning awards that I don't feel are close to being as interesting or have nearly the talent of writing and/or acting as some of the shows I've loved and lost but yet "mine" are continuously up for discussion of deletion from my weekly line up.  "My" shows may only continue on in my mind and of course what can be found on the internet, while others, to my wonderment, remain in their time slot week after week, season after season.  Is wonderment a word, I really don't care if it isn't, that's how perplexed I am at the survival of some other television shows and for a duration.  Myself being unaware of what politics rendered "666 Park Avenue" cancelled although with a bit of optimism there's the possibility of it remaining through petitions and pleading, but it's most probably pointless.  In my heart and mind, where I've reserved a section for fallen shows, "666 Park Avenue", you will live on and in great company:

"City of Angels"             January 2000 - (not sure when last episode aired but was a great show)
"Reunion"                      September 2005 - December 2005
"Windfall"                      June 2006 - August 2006
"Miss Match"                September 2003 - December 2003
"Aliens in America"        October 2007 - May 2008
"Privileged"                    September 2008 - February 2009
"Pushing Daisies"           October 2007 - March 2009 (gone too soon)
"FlashForward"             September 2009 - May 2010 (at least got an entire season)
"The Gates"                   June 2010 - September 2010
"Undercovers"               September 2010 - ???? (Dec. 2012 or early 2011)
"GCB"                          March 2012 - May 2012
"666 Park Avenue"       September 2012 - ??? (Pending 201?)

There were others that had gotten me to threatening to boycott networks because of a cancelled show(s), Fox 29 & The CW.  Fox 29 back in 2005 when Reunion was cancelled and The CW which replaced UPN, used to air a number of African-American casts shows.  I used to watch CW just about every night but when "Everybody Hates Chris" and "Girlfriends" were cancelled, the last two predominately African-American casts shows on network television, that was it, I was done with them and haven't looked at a show on their network since.  Ok, that's not entirely true, maybe a few times, but like on one hand and it was awhile after "...Chris" & "Girlfriends".  I do not currently.  It was so easy to roll off my lips again after reading about "666 Park Avenue", "I'm not watching ABC again..." but eased up on that because I like 6 other shows on the network, so I'm still internally debating this, if even for a few weeks to show defiance as a result of being disgusted by the lost of another great show.  With the mid-season finales already having aired for both "Once...Time" & "Revenge", that allows me some time to ponder.

I am aware that this is only this crucial in my own mind.  There are more pressing matters going on all around me, across the world, within my own family even, but this is my release, television is, I don't drink, smoke, otherwise party or hang out socially on the regular, writing and watching television is my thing.  Well, this perhaps for most could be much ado about nothing but to me, the part of me that values great writing, this is something.  Writing matters to me because I am a self-proclaimed writer and would be ecstatic if one day I arrive at being worthy of consideration from those in the literary world that I too am a good writer.  There have been many television shows I've enjoyed viewing, if I live long enough there will be others but for now I say a tentative goodbye to "666 Park Avenue" and wish goodness toward the entire team, especially the writers and actors.



No comments:

Post a Comment