Tuesday, January 1, 2013

It's Saturday, the 29th Day of December 2012.  I was awaken after 7:00 a.m. to the cries of my 7 year old daughter, she had something in her eye or at least that's what I thought since it appeared to be swollen and painful to the touch.  After attempting to calm her down by holding her close to me and telling her mommy would help her, I opened her eye as much as she would allow without protest and rinsed with warm water.  Then, as my husband suggested, put a damp compress on it.  After she'd calmed and laid down to rest, I laid next to her and went back to sleep.

I was again awaken, about 11:00 a.m., to the sound of my daughter playing.  I was anxious to see about her eye, looked at her and was so relieved to see her looking back at me with both eyes open and in no pain.  I immediately thanked God (Al-Hamdulillah), for what she was experiencing could have been much worse but it appears there was a little something in her eye and now "it" is removed. The feeling of joy, just seeing her play, feeling what I'm sure all children do when they don't have stresses, worries, unfortunate hindrances in "their world", they feel as Michael Jackson so beautifully sang, "so gay and carefree...with a child's heart".


I wrote the above on Saturday, December 29 thinking I'd chronicle the last three days of December leading up to midnight ringing (or shooting in) the "new year" but I didn't complete my thoughts on Saturday, didn't write anything on Sunday and am just opening my blog just a short while ago today.  So on this Monday, December 31, 2012 at 11:41 p.m., I am with my immediate family, my husband and children and so grateful to have these moments, these seconds that are ticking away into a new January. I've said as I'm certain others have said already in our out and abouts this day and probably as early as this past weekend, "Happy New Year".  We've initiated that well wish to others or as a volleyed response but I internally say "Happy New January" instead, for although I would love to see the 2013 (and many years to come) from day 1 to 365 (366), it's not guaranteed so I say happy new each day at a time and this next day just happens to be the 1st of January, as a matter of ritual.

This soon to be past year, 2012, has been one of so much in the way of triumph, heartache, loss, renew, innovation, devastation, annihilation, spectacle, amazement in ways of grandeur and sorrowfully in ways of horrible despair.  Through it all, in observation of so much, I've been blessed to witness another (in about 9 minutes) completed year on the grand chart of time.  What will become of me, what is to become of my life, I have no idea but I do know in what areas I need better focus and attention of efforts and God Willing I will work on them, one at a time.  That's the my only goal, a collection resolutions of sorts, to be more diligent with working toward being better in all the ways I need and want to be and whatever does become of me will be because I did only what I can, that which is in my own power, TO DO!

"Do or do not...there is no try" - Yoda

"HAPPY NEW JANUARY"


No comments:

Post a Comment